06 Feb Call for contribution to special issue “Emotional burdens of imposed monolingualism in education and science”
Posted at 17:27h in Uncategorised
Our close collaborator Valeria Ramírez-Castañeda at UC Berkeley is calling for contribution to a special issue “Emotional burdens of imposed monolingualism in education and science” for journal Forum for Linguistic Studies.
Suitable topics include (but are not limited to):
- Mental health issues for foreign or second-language students.
- Pressure to conduct science in dominant languages in the global south.
- Institutional demands on international graduate instructors to erase accents and teach exclusively in a dominant language.
- Notions of professional success and failure related to language proficiency.
- Feelings of limitation to pursue higher education programs due to linguistic barriers.
- Institutional barriers or diminished options to diversify language in science.
- Differential participation and leadership of foreign-language students in monolingual academic events.
The submission deadline is 30th September 2023. See here for more details.